So knock on wood but I haven’t caught the “thing” going around the office lately. I, like most people I assume, hate getting sick. I have a really hard time functioning when I am not feeling 100%, so when I am sick… watch out! (what can I say? I wear my heart on my sleeve).
I have learned the hard way that I am one of those people who have to live as healthfully as possible because if not, I end up getting shingles, strep throat, sinus infections, multiple colds a year, the swine flu, etc. (Just to name a few 😉 )
In order to keep my immune system in good shape so I can “live more healthy days” , I try to focus on the following:
1) Nutritious diet
3) Adequate sleep
4) Lots of hand washing (I work in a doctor’s office & ride public transportation every day)
5) Manage my stress (This one is always a work in progress)
Avoiding illness means more running, yoga, spending time with loved ones, and enjoying life!
About a month ago, I was asked to be a part of EpiCor’s Live More Healthy Days campaign.
Then, this came in the mail!
Since a box is this exciting to me, imagine my joy in actually opening it up!
“EpiCor is a safe and natural immune ingredient found in many dietary supplements and functional food products. It’s a unique ingredient comprised of dozens of nutrients that work together to help strengthen your immune system by balancing immune response. In other words, it acts like a multivitamin for your immune system.”
I received the EpiCor Prebiotic Soft Chews & the EpiCor capsules to try. I decided to try to the chews first since I already take several supplements in capsule form. I have taken 2-3 chews (the recommended dose) per day for about three weeks and here is my opinion so far:
1) They taste great! So, it is not a chore taking them. I have actually found myself chewing one after lunch when I have a bit of a sweet tooth.
2) They are small, individually wrapped, and easy to throw in your bag (or in my case, the pocket of my scrub work top). This convenience part is key for me. I have found that no matter how healthy and beneficial something may be, if it isn’t convenient, I am going to have a hard time making it a habit.
3) One chew contains 100% of your daily vitamin D3 and 250 mg of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae. Vitamin D3 aids in the absorption of calcium (absorption means stronger/more healthy bones) and recently, research also suggests that it may provide protection from osteoporosis, hypertension, cancer, and several autoimmune diseases. Saccharomyces Cerevisiae is a form of yeast that enhances the cellular innate immune response. All six published human studies on EpiCor used a daily dosage of 500 mg for adults so that means I only need to eat 2 chews (easy enough!).
Check out this page for more information about how EpiCor works!
4) I have avoided the sniffles/colds/sore throats/etc that my coworkers have come to work with. This is really great considering I share phones & computers with several people in our tight workspace and am exposed to 35+ patients per day. Not to mention riding public transportation!!
So, I will say it again, KNOCK on WOOD but I am healthy, running, and thriving. I plan to try the EpiCor capsules next, but I am so satisfied with the Prebiotic soft chews, it may be hard to make the switch!
How do you live more healthy days?
What are some of your immune boosting habits or secrets?
I am not a registered dietician or doctor. Always consult your health care provider prior to beginning any supplement program. I wrote this blog post as a part of EpiCor’s Live More Healthy Days Campaign, but the views and opinions expressed are my own.
Where to buy EpiCor: http://www.epicorimmune.com/epicor_how_to_buy.asp
EpiCor’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/EpiCorImmune
EpiCor’s Twitter page: https://twitter.com/EpiCorImmune